I remember in my childless days getting nervous if I sat near someone flying with a baby in fear that the little one would cry the entire time. I didn’t understand why babies were so apt to cry at the time, but as a parent it makes a whole lot of sense to me. Naps get disrupted, playing is limited, and teeny tiny ears dealing with some pretty hefty air pressure. When I knew we were taking June (at 10 months) on a 4ish hour flight I immediately got nervous. How on earth was I going to prevent her from crying?? Obviously, it’s not possible. But I did scour the internet for some tips and found some really helpful advice. I thought I’d pass on the things that seemed to work the best for us.
- First, try your hardest to get a flight during the first half of the day (at worst, try to avoid running into or over the baby’s bedtime – yikes, meltdown central)!
- Travel in jammies, it’s just easier.
- Don’t be afraid to walk the aisle with baby. Sometimes they just need a change of scenery.
- Give baby a bottle when the plane starts taking off (helps with ear pressure). If possible do so again during descent (or else a snack so that the chewing can help).
- Diaper bag contents: enough diapers and wipes to get through the flight plus a few extra, one extra outfit, a bottle, and then TONS of toys and snacks.
- Super-helpful to have those individually packaged formula powders. Then all you need to do is buy a water at the airport and you’re set for bottles.
- Buy at least one new small toy – novelty helps sometimes
- BEST THING EVER: take an empty (and clean) wipe container, fill it with several small toys with varying textures. This kept June occupied for so long! Just opening and closing the box was fun, plus emptying and then filling the box.
There ya have it! Nothing earth-shattering but all of these things combined meant that June only had one tiny meltdown per flight (mostly due to nap interruption because of our travels). Heck, she even made a baby friend as us moms were walking the aisle. Anyone else have more baby travel tips?