Our master bedroom has long been a hodgepodge of mismatched furniture that I’ve ignored largely because nobody sees it but us. But now, I’m finally feeling that we should make some sort of small attempt to be grownups and have at least a tiny semblance of a coordinating bedroom. That being said, we have a lot of projects going on right now (converting our bonus room to June’s playroom, updating our dining area, and even some home renovations) so there’s not much of a budget to be had for this project.
So, what to do in situations like this? Work with what you have, sell what you don’t want, buy on the cheap, and do a little DIY! Here’s the rundown:
- Sell: Replace MALM bedframe with a black iron bedframe (selling the MALM)
- DIY: Take current tall dresser in 2 different wood finishes –> sand it and paint it grey
- Keep: Black long dresser and bright ochre paint (will repaint maybe next summer, although it is a very cozy color for night time snuggles)
- Buy on the cheap:
- Need a new rug because dogs and sisal rugs do not mix (at least not elderly accident-prone dogs).
- Wall sconces and pillows – make big impact with a small price tag
Total cost? $515! Not too shabby for a bedroom refresh. If we didn’t have to replace the rug it’d only be $230ish! Speaking of rugs, I’m stuck in indecision city on which grey and white rug I want. I had to go neutral thanks to the bright walls but I like all three of my grey and white neutral options so I need help! I made simple mock-ups of room plans with each rug.
There’s A) striped rug,
B) diamond rug,
or C) stripe and diamond rug.
Which do you like best?